+61 402 448 449 paul.hense@henselaw.com.au

Parent Visas

There are two categories of Parent Visas, “ordinary” Parent Visas and Contributory Parents Visas (known as CPV’s). Both can provide permanent residence to an applicant, but for practical purposes the Contributory Parent Visa is the desired path (although it has additional expenses attached to it).

For all Parent Visa applications, the Department of Home Affairs will apply a balance of family test. The applicant will need to show that an equal number of their children are Australian Citizens or settled permanent residents, as compared to all children, or that there are more children living in Australia as compared to any one other country.

The next step for an applicant to consider, is should an ordinary Parent Visa be applied for, or a Contributory Parent Visa. A Parent Visa application may take 30 years for processing, while the waiting time for a Contributory Parent Visa is 2-4 years. If a parent is overseas, a 30 year wait means that in most cases the parent will have died waiting.

If a person applies onshore for a Parent Visa, the very long wait on a bridging visa may not be a concern. However, the Department may wish to finalise an application if there are health issues and so the applicant may be in a difficult situation with a rejection application, on health grounds.

Given the usual demographics of parents, as being elderly, applying for a Contributory Parent Visa has clear advantages.

Apart from the usual Departmental application fee, a Contributory Parent Visa application requires both a second visa application charge for both health costs, and a bond for any Centrelink payments accessed. An assurance of support needs to be entered into by an Australian connection, not necessarily the Parent’s sponsor.


For a parent couple, the additional expenses currently prior to the grant of a Contributory Parent Visa are $101,200. The $14,000 Centrelink bond ($10K for a single applicant, $4K for a secondary applicant) is repayable after 10 years (if the parent has not gone onto Centrelink payments), with interest.

There are temporary and permanent Contributory Parent Visas. A person can obtain an offshore temporary Contributory Parent Visa while paying only a portion of the additional charges. Medicare coverage is granted. Within two years after the temporary grant, the parent must apply for the permanent Contributory Parent Visa and pay the balance of the additional charges (the Department of Home Affairs charges a premium for this however. It is less expensive to pay the additional charges up front, by way of applying for the permanent Contributory Parent Visa directly).

A parent can make a Parent Visa application (or any sort) onshore, but one visa applicant must be over the age for eligibility for an Australian aged pension. That is progressively being raised.

The usual character and health checks are made.

Condition 4005 applies to a Parent Visa applicant, which means that if a person has a condition which will impose a significant cost to treat, the applicantion will be rejected.

In this case, specialised advice is needed to examine the basis for the Department’s view – the Medical Officer of the Commonwealth is not always right.

Contact Us About Your Migration Needs