+61 402 448 449 paul.hense@henselaw.com.au

Skilled Visas

There are two skills list for this visa, the Medium and Long-term Skills list, the Short-term Skills list….

The English standard

Most applicants will need to have English of varying standards, to be successful. Under the “points test”, differing levels of points are awarded depending on the applicant’s standards. The Department accepts the results of various Engish tests, the most commonly used being the IELTS and PTE (Academic) English language tests.

A temporary skilled visa which can lead to permanent residence, in time

In March 2018 the Department of Home Affairs introduced the Temporary Skilled Shortage (TSS) or subclass 482 visa. This is an employer nominated visa. The TSS visa replaced the subclass 457 visa.

A person needs to have two year’s relevant work experience to apply for the visa, and for the nominated occupation to be on a skilled list. There are two skills list for this visa, the Medium and Long-term Skills list, the Short-term Skills list.

A person with experience in an occupation on the Long term list provides for a temporary visa up to 4 years.

After working for an employer in that occupation for 3 years, the employer can nominate the person for permanent residency, through an application for the subclass 186 Employer Nomination Scheme visa.

A visa applicant needs competent English to apply for this visa (that is a score of 6 in each of the 4 IELTS areas, or a score of at least 50 in each of the 4 PTE (Academic) test areas. Results of English tests last for 3 years from the date of sitting).

If a person has an occupation on the Short-term list, a visa can be granted for 2 years only.

It can be renewed once onshore for a further two years, but then the visa applicant would need to apply offshore. A person cannot access the permanent 186 visa by working in an occupation on the Short-term list.

An occupation on the Regional TSS list applies to a visa applicant for a subclass 489 regional visa, a temporary visa which can lead to permanent residence.




The importance of establishing what occupation a person has, or is being nominated in by an employer…

The Department of Home Affairs requires a visa applicant for a skilled visa, to nominate an occupation. There are various different lists of eligible occupations for different visas. An applicant needs to select an appropriate occupation from the various lists.

The Department uses the ANZSCO Dictionary to establish what occupation a person has, on the basis of their past experience (commonly assessed by work references, but not only).

The ANZSCO Dictionary is a classification of occupations, describing the qualification for, and what the duties the occupation entails.

Often there may be more than one occupation which could accurately describe an occupation. It is very important to be guided by a skilled adviser when selecting an occupation, as different occupations can lead, or not lead as the case may be, to a positive Immigration outcome.

A visa applicant needs to analyse what tasks a person has done, with reference to the listing of Tasks Include in any particular ANZSCO occupations listing.

Also, advice on what occupation a person should work in, in order to satisfy particular visa requirements, can be delivered to provide a positive result in the future.

How does selecting an occupation influence the visa I can apply for ?

As mentioned above, particular care needs to be taken when stating to the Department what experience you have, and what occupation you are putting forward, or being nominated for, with a skilled visa.

For instance you might find that your occupation is on the Short-term skills list, and so through the TSS/482 system you can’t apply (in time) for permanent residence.

But this same occupation can access the subclass 190 State/Territory skilled visa (if sufficient points are reached, under the “points test). 




Contact Us About Your Migration Needs